Time buffs and debuffs question

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by Sunsphere, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Sunsphere

Sunsphere Active Member

so one thing that's always puzzled me, I don't really understand when enemies buff/debuff you when you previously have a buff/debuff in place.

For example, if you run into Titania in a5, she increases your time, but then when you hit scarlet, she doesn't overwrite it, she just hits you instead. Similarly if you have a scarlet debuff and run into manticore, he just hits you instead of overwriting with his buff.

But in the draconic orchestra dungeon, the boss will overwrite my yomi buff no matter what. I mean, I get that preemptives might be treated differently than regular skills, or is it that all enemies ignore each other's status effects on you, but will always overwrite your own effects on yourself?

2. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn You can't take the sky from me. Staff Member

User ID:
    You can only have one time effect at a time, so any time you get/give yourself a time buff/debuff, it will overwrite whatever you had previously.

Monsters can be programmed to give you a debuff no matter what, or they can be programmed to behave differently depending on your current status. That’s up to GungHo. There are no rules that all monsters have to follow.

Freddyfudrucker likes this.
  3. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Enemies won't overwrite other enemies buff/debuff when it's the same effect/status. They only overwrite yours.

4. Sunsphere

Sunsphere Active Member

By same status, you mean like a time effecting status right? Because they definitely don't overwrite debuffs with buffs for move time. But sky fall debuffs get overwritten all the time, right?

5. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I think it just varies depending on how the effects are tagged. If it's tagged as a debuff, then it won't be overwritten by another but if it's tagged as a buff, it would be. So chances are in this situation, Titania's pre-empt is tagged as a debuff so Scarlet won't overwrite it (because it's a debuff). On the other hand, orb skyfalls are likely overwritten because they're tagged as buffs so other bosses/floors will overwrite it with their own skyfall 'buff'. Don't think there's really any way of knowing whether what is considered a debuff and what is considered a buff though.

6. axlpowa

axlpowa Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Yup, I'm not sure I have ever saw anything suggesting what the enemy did to you mattered. Easiest example is move time, you get several debuffs from enemies throughout the arenas and when another enemy wants to affect your move time, it will hit you instead.

Same goes for other effects like binds, skills binds, etc. Think of the good 'ol tamadra kills in A1 when you were 99% gravitied and bound and got to the Tamadra floor and one of them tried to bind you but gibbed you instead.

Skyfalls are always overwritten though, whoever put them up. it is the same for spinners, so I guess that anything that affects orbs is different?