Translations of the Artist's Comments From GH Festival

Discussion in 'Artwork' started by Ovine, May 29, 2017.

1. Ovine

Ovine A Sheep

User ID:
    318,472,268 (NA) 255,394,397 (JP)
    PADherder:
    link
    Pics of the exhibit and original text from here.
    Translations by me. Any translation notes/clarifications by me will be in grey.

I thought it was interesting, and more people should see it, so I decided to work on it... and. Oh god. I've been working since last night. Please enjoy.

Adachi Yosuke:

Dark Sonia: One of the Sonias we know and love. The design is almost the same as the original one, and I tried changing up the overall impression by changing her hairstyle and facial expression. Like all other Sonias, she has a staff that looks like Zaerog's tail.

L/R Hathor: She looks brave along the lines of another L/R rainbow leader, Awoken Ra. I think the illustration matches her firepower. There's a tiny Ra Tamadra next to her teaching her Sunburst Knuckle.

Paimon: He's a devil that gave out scientific knowledge and secrets and so on. He's said to be so loud that it's inaudible, so I tried to express that by drawing in literal mouths. I was asked to draw him with a crown, so I made it really big.

Acala: I was ordered to draw her as a girl, and NINNIN's Trailokyavarja looked like a traditional Buddhist girl (?) so I decided to throw a curveball, and she ended up as a rare example of a full-armor-esque girl in PAD.

NY Yomi: The Yomi in the NY REM, who is shopping for kimono. Women's kimono are to the left, and men's are to the right. I'm happy with this, since I got to draw Yomi with an expression that regular Yomi doesn't have. By the way, I couldn't pull her in the... REM...

Wallace: I tried to make him different by making him an old guy, and I think that ended up being good characterization. Sevenzard is a chameleon dragon, so he's modeled after a Ninja or an assassin. He has a unique, slanted stat distribution and I think that has an adventurous spirit to it. *

(T/N: the word in question is literally "ロマン", and not in the English "Romantic" sense. Think that's the closest translation I can think of at the moment, I had a lot of trouble finding the right word...)

G/L Odindra: I strived to create a powerful dragon that contests the other MP dragons. I drew him as the strongest dragon.

Nightmare Sisters (the skillup fodders in Heroine Dungeon): They're in the trash floors of Nightmare Street, and I'm personally attached to these younger sisters of the Demons. I designed them with a circus theme, and it ended up fitting the atmosphere of the dungeon. They have low rarity and fingers, so they're useful when you're trying to S-rank a dungeon!

Itou Youichi:

R. Vritra: I love him. He's black, he has a lot of arms, and he's the coolest thing in the world. Don't you think he looks nice next to Indra?

R.Indra: An Indra that succumbed to the dark side. He ended up with a nice, dark-appropriate color scheme. Hm...? Doesn't this sword look just like the black guy next to him?

A.Andromeda: I made her attire as simple as I could. I crammed in a lot of things I like, no sleeve shirt, boots, legwarmers, a miniskirt, and so on. I think the pose and the expression came out just right. Brown skin is the best!

Split Rozuel: I drew her as an archetypical heroine. She has 0 RCV, but she makes heart orbs, I think that's cute. I like her hairstyle and hair color. You're supposed to be able to see the ear.

Navi: I designed the outfit along the lines of a princess's dress. An ahem-pose and a triumphant look. But she's a piece of junk. Erm, it's all right. Sherias is there to watch over her.

Romia: Daddy Zuoh is breaking through the dimensional barrier to rescue his daughter. I don't think you can tell in the game, but Romia's crying happy tears. The cat ears are attached to the headband. I wonder what kind of father Zuoh is.

Academy Susano: The first thing I thought of when I heard of Academy Susano was a stereotypical Bancho in gakuran! With a hat! And geta! And a wooden katana! , but I thought it was good so I kept going in that direction. I think it fits him. I can imagine a story where he and Orochi fight over Kushi, so I'm waiting for Academy Kushinada.

Academy Orochi: What the hell, Academy Orochi? That was a curve ball and I was at a loss (lol). I decided I 'd just have to go defiantly in a comedic direction. He could be Susano's rival, in gakuran, with overblown pompadours. He has 8 heads, so might as well get some individuality out there! The delinquent/abandoned cat combination is always good, so I could draw a cat, and.. soon enough I was drawing it in high spirits. He ended up with an impressive range of expressions. I like the nerdy one.

Hino Shinnosuke:

June Echidna: For a Healer Girl Echidna gets featured in events often. Even in wedding attire, I couldn't imagine her constrained in a family, so I decided to make her a runaway bride.

UEVO Dragon Zombie: This is actually my favorite recent illustration. I wanted to portray it as a both as a dragon and a zombie, and it ended up like this. It's a single drawing, but I managed to draw an atmosphere that evokes a storyline.

Halloween Karin: This is one of those rare "What Did He Do This Time" drawings you get from me. I'm not fooling around on purpose, but I have this rare habit where I draw something that's ??? and just turn it in as it is.

UEVO Vishnu: I stressed youth and vigor in this and finished it in one go. I drew it only with the desire to make an illustration with simple attire and little decoration, but a sense of showiness from a lot of movement.

Misery: This is one of my favorites as well. This is from when I decided to leave Bishoujyo to other people, and to aim for something that's less on-point. I made a character from the cuteness of the dark side inherent in women.

Split GOdin: I'm done with sighing. I boldly redesigned him as what Odin can look like from me now. Now that I look at it I think I made his legs... too long. Yes, I regret it.

Nephthys: In a sense, she moves on her own, or rather... I recognize her as "a character who becomes Nephtys on her own when I start drawing her". I commit to the student-like quality and differentiation from her sister, and always draw her with an energetic pose.

Mito: I originally designed her as a non-Bishoujyo, but the reaction was underwhelming and the defense was minimal, so I thought that was bad and tweaked her and the result is this. From this I realized that I still have a lot to learn.

Suzuki Kaori:

Metalit/Dubmetalit: The lit who kept being called fat finally decided to commit to that thing (left [Metalit]). As a result, it became like that (right [Dubmetalit]).

D/D Akechi: He's implicitly shooting down the cuckoo. (T/N: There's these Haiku about Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu's personalities by showing what they'd hypothetically do to a cuckoo.) He's losing the chance to get the light, which he does get in the other split evo. He has flintlock pistols, which is from the era beyond the Sengoku era, because it looks better.

R. Astaroth: A. Astaroth is more of a devil and R. Astaroth is more of a goddess. The devil Cauchemar and the angel Cauchemar in the hammer argue, and the one who wins takes the lead.

UEVO Cauchemar: Cauchemar in the descend thinks that he's protecting his lady Astaroth, but Astaroth is secretly giving him her power to help him. Cauchemar doesn't realize that.

R. Haku: She doesn't like it when people see her tiger ears, so she always hide them. If you can see her ears, she becomes twisted and dangerous.

R. Pandora: Because she opened the box, the world ended, so she reincarnated and entered a second world. She's more motivated to open the box than in the first round, and she's already summoning the key. At this rate, we'll need a third world.

R. Sun Quan: I wanted to depict a wild downpour so I accentuated the effects. As a result, Sun Quan looks like a puppy that's being rained on... Please don't catch a cold.

A. Sun Wukong: I've always wanted to include him in a berserk monkey state in the evolutionary line somewhere. He'll turn back into human form with his teachers' intervention (probably) .

Murase Rintaro:

R. Ra: The sun god in Egyptian mythology. I incorporated the design of the scarab, which is a local holy insect. I like the electrical light hieroglyphs.

A. Perseus: A hero god from Greek mythology. Finally this character became machine type too... it was easy to make him a robot. In the first draft, he was on a Pegasus motorbike.

Ronove: One of the 72 demons of [The Lesser Key of] Solomon. He features in this scary guitarist urban legend called "27 Club". If there's another opportunity, I'd like to put some demons on the bass and the drums in the background.

Azazel: One of the leaders of the fallen angels in the Old Testament. I didn't have lewd intents, but everybody quipped about the sealed state in the unevolved art. May be there isn't a demand for older men, but I like this character.

Cockatrices: Because it received an odd level of support from the fanbase, it acquired oddly favorable treatments... or rather, more appearances everywhere. My Twitter, because of weird obsessive impulses, is becoming a place to upload more artwork of them.

Devinyans: They've become known as "the things that just won't drop". If I get another opportunity, I'd like to draw other versions of them.

R. Hermes: The messenger god in Greek mythology. At first, he was a mailman, but because the Attacker type was added and so on, he transformed into more of an alchemist, like in the derivative myths.

R. Apollo: The sun god in Greek Mythology. He has a lot of constellation-related stories. I incorporated motifs from the stories of Ophiuchus, Corvus and Crater in this one.

Ikeya:

A. Yamato: I wanted him to look absolutely downtrodden so I cut his hair and made him painful-looking. He lost the God typing and his hair.

Split Tsubaki: She looks so delicate but she absolutely will kill dragons. I thought the Dragon Callers liked dragons a lot, but this girl... she looks so bright right now. Thanks so much to Tofu and Iwai.

Sima Yi: It was in my rough sketch, and I gave it a layer, so I can't believe I forgot to give him shoes in the evolved art.

Ilmina: I want to draw more fluff.

Aten: It's an incomprehensible being so I drew an incomprehensible thing. The face was a doodle in the rough sketch, but it got approved or something. The Egyptian gods have strong, odd characterization.

Dandalion: The face in the evolved state is still a temporary one. I got inspired by Kuroyanagi Tetsuko on how the things come out from the back of his head and his hair.

Gan Jiang and Mo Ye: My first set of two characters. Are they husband and wife? Twins?

Oichi: I experimented with a lot of things in this one. I wanted to give her more facial variation, but Spica came out too strong in that department so I toned it down.

Nakamura Eight:

Baldin: The first non-collab monster I was in charge of was Baldin. It's hard to tell, but he has a scar on his eye, and he's wearing a mask to hide it.

Balboa: I gave Baldin more arms in his UEVO, so I gave him more legs. I like the decorative part on the head that looks like a hoodie.

Barbara: My first girl monster! I wanted to her to be both wild and methodical, but you can't really tell and I could've done that better.

Julie: I formulated her composition and personality to juxtapose Barbara's. So she's easy-going and sloppy (lol). She has a staff and a book similar to UEVO Balboa's.

Ninegaruda: This is the only one I decided to choose the unevolved version for here. Mecha transformation that involves purging the armor is full of a sense of adventure and I love it, so I'm glad I got to draw that.

Ena: She's a monster that's related to Ninegaruda. The original was a mecha dragon, so there were a lot of trial and error and took a long time. I drew the Ninegaruda behind her big, with a lot of details, so if you have the time please look at him closely.

Cosmo Crusader: He's a knight with a blue/gold/white color scheme, and he's a robot, so he's made of the things I like and I had a fun time drawing him. I'd like to draw more things like him.

Enoch: She's related to Noah and Metatron, so I was very nervous while drawing her. I incorporated a lot of angel, ark and clergy elements, but I could've been more organized about it.

Midorikawa Miho:

Cthulga: The Cthulhu mythos is based on the horror towards the ocean, so I based a lot of this series on deep sea creatures. This one has fire element, so I based it on the Atlantic footballfish, which has a light on its forehead and round, muscular fins.

Cthulhu: Like in my original plan, it's based on an octopus, the octopus itself is on the back of its head, and I made the beak of the octopus a dragon face. I also had an idea based on the deep-sea flapjack octopus, but it looked too cute so I made it a normal octopus.

Nyarlathotep: It apparently has no face and elastic tentacles, so I based it on the sea pig, which has a lot of tentacles and not much of a face, and made it more like a tree. The red part is based on the roaring mouth in the original draft.

Yog-Sothoth: Yog-Sothoth is said to be a glowing orb with tentacles, and I based it on a deep sea jellyfish that glows brilliantly (T/N: I can't find the English name for the specific species, or even the scientific name for it, but it's called アトラクラゲ in Japanese). It's also all connected, and it's the one and the many, so it sounds a lot like a jellyfish which is born as one and divides into many more.

Azathoth: Apparently this is the easiest for people to tell what it's based on. It's at the center of the universe and it hungers, so I pictured a black hole, and based it on the gulper eel and the pelican eel, which swallow prey around its own size.

Light Jormungandr: The green one spat out venom but the face looked more like a dragon, so for the light one I made the face more like a venomous viper. This one probably has more venom if you're bitten.

Neptune Dragon: The original PAD Neptune is on a Kelpie and gets octopus legs when he evolves, so I based it on that and added a more seahorse armor feel to it.

Fenrir: His body looks like a beast, but his face is a dragon, and he's a beast-dragon. I gave him a bigger head-height ratio to make him look big, and made sure that he looks like a wolf by the color combinations on his face. I pictured him as a white Nordic wolf, but he's dark so I picked the middle ground and made him grey.

Kazama Raita:

Alcyone: He's a boy. He's a boy.

Algedi: Goats are hard... what should I do... what's the concept here... haha. I don't know. Let's make her a schoolgirl. And it came out like this.

Uruka: She's an urban legend by this point. (T/N: He's been spending ... I don't know the exact number, but a heckton of money trying to get her. No dice yet.)

Elgenubi: They look like a fair judge and a gavel of justice, but they might just be an ultra-masochist and an ultra-sadist.

Fujin: Kazama.

Raijin: Raita. (T/N: Each part of his name contain the characters for "wind" and "thunder", respectively)

Christmas Castor & Pollux: This is my favorite recent illustration, so I'm not going to say anything weir- they're realfags.

Halloween Xiang Mei: No boobs & boobs. ... People'll get mad at me!

NINNIN:

Tachibana Ginchiyo: I also designed the female gun corps in the background!

Claíomh Solais: I've incorporated Irish dance costumes and ethnic hairstyle into the design!

Deathpharion: As a contrast to Orpharion, I've designed him to look evil and powerful. I'd be happy if you can see the molding on there that you can't see from a smartphone!!

NY Kaguya: For the characters in the seasonal REM, I draw a lot of details such as the pattern on the kimono, so I'd love for people to see the bigger version!

June Satsuki: I put a lot of details in the wedding dress too. I also like how cute Nobunaga looks in that tuxedo!

Christmas Paulina: For the Christmas REM especially, there's a lot of tiny objects in here you can't see clearly on a smartphone, so I'd be happy for people to see that here!

Sanada: I always get exhausted drawing the armor and the other details on him, so please see the bigger version!

Grida: I'm always looking into how to draw cuter girls, but Grida's the one that had the most reaction from people lately so please look at this bigger version!

Kozaki Yusuke:

Pre-UEVO Sakuya: This is my first character here and I have a lot of emotions about her. The weapon is a Chinese weapon called Chui. I sit in a weird position when I draw so my waist hurts.

L/G Sakuya: I had a lot of trouble deciding on a weapon! I based it on Buddhist artifacts. Recently, my body can't stay awake and I feel like I have less time to work on things.

Awoken Sakuya: Her design is a mix of Sailor Fuku, leotard and Beijing Opera costumes. I powered up the weapon by having a Chui on both sides. Lately I have stiff shoulders .

UEVO Santakuya: I aimed for that bustling, happy Christmas atmosphere back in elemetary school. Nowadays I don't feel too excited about Christmas any more. I'm 39 years old now.

NY Sandalphon: I designed him so that he looks like Kagamimochi when you look at it from far away, but Ikeya's Medjedra took all the spotlight. I miss my New Year Money.

Saria: I aimed for the offensive with a protagonist-like design. She contracted a dragon who is based on a rabbit. I like the silhouette with the sword.

Ryune: A girl who contracted a dragon based on a shark. I imagine her to be underwater. The ocean always pairs nicely with spears.

Sylvie: There aren't a lot of characters with a disgusted look so I went for this expression. The dragon is based on an eagle. I agonized a lot about what her weapon should be, but decided on an ax.

Chaichi:

R. DQXQ: My first Reincarnated character. Everybody else had impressive Reincarnated illustrations up, so I agonized over how to change them up while working on them. I tried my best not to subtract any cuteness from the Awoken, did it work out?

A. Belial: He finally beat Indigo.

A. Durga: She has a lot of hands so I always have trouble with the composition but I solved it this time by launching them into mid air. She has a no-skyfall LS, she's hard to use, and she doesn't have a lot of firepower.

Split Lumiel: I draw the things around Lumiel as peoples' nightmares. Last time it was a deep sea flapjack octopus, and this time it's the hunter of the forest, the owl. She'll chase them all away with the Tamadra bell.

Nouhime: I heard there'll be a series on Sengoku princesses, so I got to work on Alluring! Long! Black hair!

Shibamarus: Woof! Woof woof woof woooof!

Zweihander: My personal favorite. Her outfit is based on the medieval mercenaries called the Landsknechts.

Earth Insect Dragon: Feel free to use as the subject of your summer science project.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. MagicMatcher

MagicMatcher Sacred Life Cow <3

PADherder:
    link
    Interesting read. Thanks for your work on translating!

Ovine likes this.
  3. WatermelonOwl

WatermelonOwl Smol light demon

User ID:
    399 756 307
    Aaahh thank you so much for translating these!

Ovine likes this.
  4. Zaku

Zaku Delete Kirin off your friendlists

PADherder:
    link
    I love this thread and you OP.

Ovine likes this.
  5. Apollogee

Apollogee Plays Trashy Leads

User ID:
    Thank you so much for the translation! I was really curious on what they said and it's super interesting to know now.

Ovine likes this.
  6. swintergreen

swintergreen Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Awesome work, thank you Sheepy :)

Ovine likes this.
  7. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Awesome work d(^_^)b

Ovine likes this.
  8. LordAx

LordAx Thunder God

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    aren't you the sheep, i dont know who is who anymore

9. Ovine

Ovine A Sheep

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    [​IMG]

I've considered changing my icon to Hamal to make it more obvious, but I'd feel guilty betraying Angelion, and I don't actually have Hamal. :confused:

graps and swintergreen like this.
  10. icebarrier

icebarrier ~(=w=)~

PADherder:
    link
    yyoyoyoyoyoyo

"Acala: I was ordered to draw her as a girl, and NINNIN's Trailokyavarja looked like a traditional Buddhist girl (?) so I decided to throw a curveball, and she ended up as a rare example of a full-armor-esque girl in PAD."

you mean this NINNIN? https://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=31821

vanguard NINNIN?
    as in trailyo and friends are from this guy?
    from phantom blaster overlord guy?
    [​IMG]

oh my god it is him

https://twitter.com/NIN_NIN_G/media?lang=en

[​IMG]

yoooooooooooooooooo

yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Zaku likes this.
  11. swintergreen

swintergreen Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    LOL how is that so perfect for this situation

12. ta11geese3

ta11geese3 azure rathalos

13. Ovine

Ovine A Sheep

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
  14. graps

graps Well-Known Member

User ID:
    385 693 374
    "is it a dream" LOL
    wew it finally happened

15. SuperArtFight

SuperArtFight Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Wow, I am crazy late to the party, but thanks very much for translating these notes!!

For what it's worth, I believe it is the 'Atolla Jellyfish' being referred to here!

Ovine likes this.
  16. Ovine

Ovine A Sheep

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Reusing the old thread for this instead of making a new one because it's more of the same.

<GH Festival 2018 Artists' Comments> [Source]

Translation is less literal than last time. Notes by me in grey, and there's a few external links for term clarification. Any emphasis are not mine, they're from the original.

Midorikawa Miho:

Fenrir Viz (L/B): He has light and water attributes, so I got to use the original Fenrir’s white and icy Norse associations, which makes this look like his final form. He easily tore Glepnir to shreds. I worked hard on making his paws look like dog paws, so please look at his feetsies.

Agni: He’s a god who’s drawn with one lower body and two sets of upper bodies, so when he evolves he has another neck and another set of front legs. I’ve thought horses with six legs were cool since middle school and I drew them often back then, so even if he’s a bull, it was fun.

Shiva Dragon: The first monster I’ve drawn in PAD, which is a milestone. I kept the lines simple and thick, to adhere to the PAD style, but nowadays everyone else draws a lot of lines!

Neptune Dragon: This is the dragon version of the unicorn Neptune is riding in the original. In the post-evo, I only reused the upper body, and changed the composition and the silhouette, so I thought to myself: this wasn’t supposed to have this much variance, right?

Odin Dragon (pre-evo): I wanted to be faithful to Hino’s Odin’s sexy, tight-fitting spandex suit, so I got rid of the scales.

Odin Dragon (post-evo): This was pretty much the first time I’ve drawn the solid magic effects, so I was mimicking it as I go and it turned out just fine and that was fun. Because of this, I don’t hate drawing the effects as much now (may be).

Ra Dragon: The falcon in the pre-evo and Ra fused together. Oh and he got more legs. He’s flinging those light symbols that look like Hieroglphs, but since he’s got the lines on his wings that look like the starves, it also looks like he’s flinging notes from sheet music.

Yomi Dragon: This is closest to my original art style. I wondered if I added too much details on the scales on the hands and feet and whatnot, but when I look at it now it isn’t too detailed at all! They’re probably the biggest of the five god MP dragons.

Nakamura Eight:

Takamimusubi: They come in a set with Ameno and Kamimusubi. They’re a genderless god, so I made it so you can interpret their gender either way, but I wonder which the players prefer.

Kamimusubi: I formulated the clothes, hairstyle, pose and composition so that they look like one half of a pair with Takamimusubi. When I first drew this, I looked at the other Japanese mythological cards and I wondered if I should’ve made this more modest…

Halloween Nene: This is the seasonal card, Halloween Nene. I included other people from the series, and made it a traditionally Japanese styled Halloween. I like Oichi, who’s napping in the background.

NY Kamimusubi: This is the one where I just didn’t give a damn. I didn’t change the clothing too much from the original, and wanted to change it up with the props so I put a lot of them around, and I’m happy that the player base liked this.

Rushana: I overdid it. I put so much effort into the mini Wisdom Kings and the mandala and the overall design, and I have no idea how her underwear works. But many players love this card, and the other illustrators also thought she was good, so this has been a memorable card for me.

Herme: I’m grateful that I got a large display of this illustration at the GH Festival last year. This was a great opportunity for me, and I still like how I incorporated Dragon Zombie, and how I gave her a witchy design.

Mut: Chaichi’s Khonsu had an awesome design where they take off them mask, so I stole that idea and did the same thing. There were a lot of trial and error on how to give her a different kind of dark skin from Barbara.

Uranus: He’s so dark. His skin is dark because I wanted it to represent the universe, but the people in charge warned me that “if you make it too dark he’ll blend into the background so be careful”, which took up their time so I’m apologetic about it. So I won’t make him darker than he is right now.

Adachi Yosuke:

Plalinae: The request was for a “martial-arts oriented Dragonbound” so I gave her an active pose. She’s riding that dragon like a surfboard and she goes fast. As I was drawing her, I wondered what kind of conversations she’d have with Rikku or Distel.

Halloween Verdanti: A Halloween outfit, it has to be clock related, is there anything… I thought, and I settled on making her the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. She’s a 20x leader with damage reduction! She’s hard to use though…

Enra: I wanted to give her a weird dragon, so she’s got an insectoid dragon. She likes creepy things and she probably drinks a lot.

Mega Gonia: Sonia is finally animated! She doesn’t have too much firepower, but she’s stable and she can deal with a lot of dungeon mechanics so she’s the leader I use most often now. A staff member asked me “aren’t you drawing too many butts nowadays?”.

Bride Scheat: She’s Aquarius so she’ll be pouring a lot of stuff.

Split Urd: I really wanted to give her (something that looks like) suits with pants… The Norns in this series are all in their battle uniforms.

Inahime: She’s Sanada’s sister (-in-law) and the daughter of the strongest Sengoku warrior, Honda Tadakatsu, so she’s a Spartan-esque warrior. She’s a delinquent older sister!

Academy Loki: I’ve always wanted to draw Loki and his family. I put a lot of effort into making Fenrir fluffy.

Itou Youichi:

UEVO Ragdra: He’s going berserk a bit. The end is nigh… (Chuuni)

B/D Sherias: Aren’t dragons with giant swords cool? And he’s got his eyes closed? Isn’t that awesome?

Zuoh: He got his armor and sword from his daughter. She’s a good daughter. We should all be like her! I like Zuoh and his allies.

Satan: I changed up his design to make him more beastly. The sword in his chest… haven’t we seen that somewhere… The red dragon behind Satan is another form of his. I’d love to draw a Satan from the dragon side, as well.

Reincarnated Andromeda: Ponytails are the best! I like the back fabric with polkadots. …She’s wearing pants, look closely.

Nees: Ponytails are the best! Her gun can shoot both real bullets and magical bullets! I headcanon that those two dragons are brothers (this is not the official).

Zera: She’s a witch but she’ll punch you with those fists! She’ll buff herself and beat the crap out of you!

Christmas Gremory: I agonized over how happy she should look but I'm glad I've made her this smiley. The camel who was put off by all this in the pre-evo finally said screw it, and is partying along. Seasonal cards are fun to draw.

Hino Shinnosuke:

B/R Acubens: This was rare for me that I knew what it was going to look like even before I started drawing. This is a cool pose no matter who draws it so it’s cheating (?) but I feel like of my characters, Acubens fits this this best because he’s young and inexperienced.

B/B Acubens: I like this so I’m choosing this one as well… Unlike the other Acubens, this one is in stealth mode. There’s no official word on this, but the character design makes it open to a lot of viewer interpretations, such as “is this version a prototype?” or “is this the grown-up version of the other one?”

Awoken Lu Bu: I’ve drawn Lu Bu several times but this is probably the most streamlined, final form. He’s got an exaggerated expression, especially with his glare, but that’s part of the charm. He probably looks just about right on the phone. Don’t look at him too closely, as always. Appreciate from afar.

Awoken AA Luci: I drew Lucifer as a normal, cool older brother figure this time. This is the most straightforward, orthodox young man I’ve drawn. Now that I look at it he’s too straightforward, even… what happened…

Awoken Cao Cao: A rare example of an older man. You can see the older guy amidst the sword and the fire and the fiery effects, I love drawings that appeal to your imagination like that! And this is unrelated, but I love to draw beards.

Gilles Legato: I haven’t done a descend card in a while. He was supposed to be a “evil overlord who opposes the massive force of heroes who try to overcome him”, so I emphasized his standing pose more than the art style or the design. I wanted to have him standing in an imposing manner. I hope that carried over to how imposing he looks…

Awoken Vishnu: I tried an action pose that comes at the viewer, which I don’t draw often. When I draw Vishnu, I care about giving him a dynamic pose, like a frame from a Shounen Manga. That’s also why his mouth is open, which is also rare for me.

Reincarnated Okuni: The basic design is about the same, but his color scheme is darker and he looks more mature. This is his battle attire. In the draft, I was drawing him without the hat, but he didn't look like Okuni enough so I gave it back to him.

Suzuki Kaori:

Valentine’s Haku: She looks frowny even though it’s Valentine’s because she’s mad at herself because she was bad at knitting the scarf.

Valentine’s Astaroth: Cauchemar can become male or female depending on what Astaroth wants. Cauchemar is female in this because they wants to see where the chocolate goes and they’re helping with the chocolate making process, but they don’t realize that they’re losing out on the opportunity to get the chocolate.

Downpy: It has a party whistle because after you blow on it, it comes back, and in this case, the level goes back.

Reincarnated Sun Wukong: He used to be a crazy monkey and now he’s back to being sane (lol). He usually is posing with two fingers to finish off his spell, but this time, he’s using one because he’s trying to say that “I can fly the fastest!”.

Awoken Akechi: He used to be a weak-willed boy, but he started having ambitions when he got possessed by an evil spirit called Ushi Mitsuko [note: the name is a reference to the third hour of Ox, which is the time when ghosts are said to be active]. The black hands behind Akechi are Ushi Mitsuko’s.

Halloween Chiyome: She’s gathering the ingredients to make dango.

Awoken Sarasvati: The waters around Sarasvati are part of her hair. When she gets embarrassed or excited, the waters around her also get hot, so it's dangerous.

Awoken Michael: The long part in his hair that look like bunny ears are divine radars. He wants to impose judgment on someone, and he's antsy about that.

Murase Rintaro:

Tardis: The first PAD storyline character I was responsible for! I wanted to try something different from the other illustrators, so I made him buff. He’s one of my favorites.

Weld: The brother of Tardis, who’s to the left. I didn’t make them look too alike. Their characterizations are by the PAD staff in charge of writing the Dragonbound and Dragoncaller scenarios!

Amen: The original design was Ra with black metallic goat horns because he was conflated with Ra in the legends. I liked the black Ra from the coloring contest, so he has black parts because of that.

Light Azazel: Black tights guy who changed into an admiral's uniform. I like the pale color scheme, which I haven't used often before.

G/X Ronove: Guitar demon who evolved. Along with the fire evo, I wondered how to draw two kinds of live stage backgrounds, but I was encouraged by fellow illustrator Ito cheering me on with how much he loves Ronove.

Awoken Raphael: The guy who threw Azazel (pictured above) into jail. Along with Weld, I've been working on a lot of people related to incarceration.

Awoken Perseus: He used to be mechanical and he's human again. The composition is the same, but I've redrawn almost all of it!

Minotauria/Werwolfie: Beast characters who got a surprising reappearance. I'm bad at drawing girls, but these two are fun to draw. The staff members gave them excellent characterization with the dialogues, which settled my idea of their characterization.

Ikeya:

Dark Ideal: The first description I got was different from the current one, and she was one hell of a mad scientist. Her design was also darker, but later her characterization changed, which changed the design as it is now. Her eyepatch isn't just for show, she was injured in that accident when #6 ran amok. She's blind in that eye.

#6: This person also got a characterization overhaul. The previous characterization was very tragic. He was traumatized by how much his power got sucked and his body crumbled during imprisonment, which is why he wraps a lot of fabric and belts around his body to fix it. He's physically around 12 and chronologically (and mentally) around 3.

Kaede: This is the first piece I've done since I switched to Clip Studio Paint from SAI. She highly regards Tsubaki, who got a branch evo earlier, and she mimics her in hairstyle and pose.

Rikku: He's a recluse, but hermits in a world like this are usually overpowered. He probably has some training in martial arts, I thought, so I designed him in a sporty outfit under his cape, but ... actual stats wise, I feel like he'd break his back if he tried anything physical.

Valentine's Facet: If she's going to give people chocolate of course she'll make them herself. But I wouldn't say they'd be delicious. There wouldn't be diamonds or any weird things in the chocolate, not like that. It'd just taste bad. It'd taste awful. So awful that you'd vomit. But, yeah. If you've got love, anything goes. Love is something.

Reincarnated Yamato: He got his god typing back so his hair got longer! Ever since reincarnated evo was implemented, I've always planned to have Yamato with his sword sheathed, with a gentle expression. Because this is PAD, he turns into a dragon, not a swan.

Ea: The god who created mankind... by making them out of clay. He's a relatively sane? god within the series, but he's got a lot of embarrassing stories when alcohol is involved so I've drawn him as a sloppy person. The fish is Apkallu, who is an amazing fish person who gave mankind knowledge and culture.

Closed Tama: It's nominally a Tamadra, but it's not really a Tamadra. The difference between this Tama and a real Tama is like the difference between Satou[the Japanese surname] and Sugar[which is pronounced the same in Japanese]. It's a scary thing that looks like a Tamadra, that quietly breaks the star, but I think... it actually thinks that it wanted to be born as a Tamadra.

Chaichi:

Sitri: I made her as sexy as I could. The watery girl can look however the summoner wants her to look.

Runelis: If her older sister is into carnivores, she’s into herbivores. [see here for the definition of carnivore/herbivore as descriptors for men]

Kronus: Uranus and Gaia’s son and a scary man who cut off Uranus’s … that thing… at Gaia’s bequest. He fears that his kids will do the same to him, so that’s why he has the bags under his eyes in the post-evo.

Khonsu: Khonsu is a moon god who watches over children. He’s the son of Murase’s Amun and Nakamura Eight’s Mut. Boys are easy on the screens.

Arianrhod: I don’t draw a lot of graceful women so this was refreshing. She’s related to the Corona constellation, so the magical effect is based on the constellation.

NY Tengu: I heard that there’ll be a Tengu for New Year’s and I decided that the only way it could go would be a Daruma so that’s why it’s like this. I like how the ink rabbit jumps a bit. This was an opportunity to draw the girl I drew in UEVO!!

Academy Lumiel: They look like friends around the same age so I borrowed Ikeya’s Famiel. Look for where the skillup fodders are. They’re going to prank someone with their 200k damage.
    (Clarification: Academy Lumiel does 100k fixed damage, but when you add that with Famiel’s you get 200k damage.)

Book Dragons: Squeak, squeak, I want breakfast!

NINNIN:

Awoken Sanada: I’ve been asked to draw a lot of Sanadas. Of my characters, Sanada is the first one to get an Awoken so I put a lot of effort into him. There’s a lot of things in there, so it looks really cramped.

Shazel: Shazel was the first? drag queen in PAD, so that was fun to draw. I’m happy that I got a lot of positive reactions from the players.

Halloween Ruel: I’ve been drawing a lot of Ruels too. This time it was Halloween so I gave her a kigurumi. Non-serious ones are hard…

Nemain: You can’t have depictions of blood in this game, so I agonized a lot and decided to give her long, red gloves to represent her bloodstained hands. She’s holding Excalibur, because it’s said that she gave that to King Arthur.

Christmas Claiomh Solais: Claiomh Solais got asked to be in the Christmas event early on, so I represented her as the big eater I think she is.

Erika: I designed her as Satsuki’s younger fellow apprentice! I wanted to make her into a bit of a magical girl so she has a magic stick and a makeup case. I also wanted to make her a fox girl, and that’s why the dragon is a fox dragon!

Awoken Alrecha: Alrecha has a lot of details in her to begin with, so when she got an Awoken I knew that it would take up a lot of time when I designed her. It was a lot of work, but I like how she came out!

Split Tachibana: She’s the UEVO of the pre-evo Tachibana, so I designed her off the idea that her innate power got stronger. She has more thunder manipulation powers, and that’s why she has a thunder beast under her command.

Kazama Raita:

Xiang Mei: I thought very hard about making serious comments this time, but the due date for the comments is apparently today, so I shouldn't push myself too hard! Or so I've told myself one rainy afternoon, after Golden Week...

You Yu: Armpits. Graduated.

Xiu Min: He's a boy. He's a boy.

Xin Hua: Ina Bauer.

NY! Khepri: First poo - ahem - first sunrise.

Summer Fujin: Kazama in a bikini.

Valentine's Ney: Let's get romantic, in that awkward teenage girl phase where you want to give something to your crush but you can't!

Academy Uruka: I think she looks like this because I like Keikazaka 46 too much lately.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Tek7, Flandre, Unknown_PC and 2 others like this.
  17. Reni

Reni The mama

User ID:
    ᴺᴬ 315,091,284
    PADherder:
    link
    Yay! Translations! I'll link your translations in my blog Ovine, if you're ok with it! I was gonna make a little overview post on GH Fest, just in time! ^^

Thanks againnn Ovine!!

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  18. Ovine

Ovine A Sheep

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Glad you like the translations!
    Linking: Yeah, sure, go ahead! I already cross-posted it to Reddit but more publicity would never hurt!

Reni likes this.
  19. Reni

Reni The mama

User ID:
    ᴺᴬ 315,091,284
    PADherder:
    link
    For sure, I was making a GungHo Fest 2018 post since a nice soul sent me (quite a bit of) photos he took during the Fest!! Your translations saved my life because otherwise I'd have to do them and I'm helllllaaaa slow. D:

20. EoTN

EoTN I&I dual waifus

These were very interesting, thanks for translating!