Vergil, another underwhelming leader?

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by Murdurus, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    So I pulled two Vergils and decided to see if Vergil simply doesn't look impressive on paper or if that really is the case and well, he's not great. Transforming aside, his damage just isn't very impressive, coming in at 19.5x; it's not terrible, but not great either. The place where he really shines is his survivability, with him capable of tanking most hits and healing back through his HP multiplier and shield. That said though, his shield requires him to match water and dark orbs so it's not like he can stall indefinitely.

I've noticed two glaring weaknesses of Vergil after playing him for a little bit; his active and combo count. First, his active, although looks impressive at a 6 turn CD, board changer and attack and recovery boost, it's inconsistent. A huge portion (or rather all) of his damage comes from him making 3x3 water orbs but his active does NOT guarantee 9 water orbs; there's nothing more disappointing when going in for the kill with his active and then suddenly find out there's not enough orbs.

Second, his combo count. A LOT of boss fights now that I've noticed not only requires VDP to break through their defenses but also has combo absorption which makes it incredibly difficult to deal with. In Vergil's case, he NEEDS the 3x3 water VDP to get any damage but that also means that his combo count will naturally be lower than normal; that combined with his inconsistent active means that he is largely inconsistent when trying to get over certain hurdles.

Both of those problems plus the fact that Vergil is a transformer means that team building is even more limited. Over all, I feel like Vergil is very underwhelming as a leader. Like sure, he can take on most mid-tier dungeons just fine, but seeing as how he is a diamond from a collab and a transformer, I expected much more from him. Vergil isn't garbage but he's pretty mediocre and I feel like other diamonds from the DMC collab outshines him. Has anyone had any success with him?

2. Carlos R. Marti-Figueroa

Carlos R. Marti-Figueroa Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    you are right at this moment, he is mostly meant as a sub for water teams, right now the best one being Norza/Yomi, though I myself simply cannot find a place for him on the team when mine already clears AA4 with 100% success without him.

However, there is a new card from MHA that pairs with him (Tomura) that also matches dark and blue, but additionally in the LS has disable poisons, and has plus 2 combos. This means the 2 together have 3/351/1.5 with 25% shield, +2 combos, and poison immune, for just matching water and dark, plus and 1mil autofua for 2 blue matches. That's a lot covered in just 2 cards. This team already has been used to clear Shura Realm, so the potential is there. But yeah, gotta wait another month and a half for it in NA.

3. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Not to mention of having to also find a friend who has Tomura (or uses him). Just a note though, PADX is currently incorrect about one aspect of Vergil's LS, he doesn't require water + water match for the 1M auto FUA, it comes with just making the water + dark match. Doesn't necessarily make him great still but just something to note. That being said though, I think I might eventually trade away one of them seeing as how pairing with himself is pretty mediocre and I can't imagine having two of them as subs.

4. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    The bigger concern is whether or not NA will get the MHA collab. :( I hope we do because I pulled Vergil on my main and Nero on my alt. “One For All” Izuku Midoriya (#6299) is a perfect pairing for Nero and “Decay” Tomura Shigarak (#6314) is a perfect pairing for Vergil.

“One For All” Izuku Midoriya
    “Decay” Tomura Shigarak

But even without Tomura, I've found Vergil to be a very fun lead, if not top-tier material without a stronger pairing in NA (yet). Monsters like Mega BSonia, Mega Ameno, Dolq, and Mega Blodin make great subs.