War Beauty and the Demon Beast: Minerva x Ilm vs Arena 1 Solo

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and Dungeon Strategies' started by ViewtifulGene, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ViewtifulGene

ViewtifulGene Mostly Retired. Still A Lazy Shit.

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Arena has become more accessible since its inception. Gone are the days where you had to either whale for DKali or Eschamali, or grind it out glacially with a NorseBound team. Myr is a farmable lead with no weaknesses in Arena, but what if you're tired of heart crossy shit? The super MP dragon ults all make short work of Arena, but what if you don't want to make the commitment to one yet? Read on to see if Minerva x Ilm (IlmNerva) is the right Arena pairing for you.

IlmNerva has 2 distinct advantages over Myr, the gold standard for Arena leads at the time this guide was written. First, the pairing is extremely flexible with board space and orb activation. You don't need a cross to achieve your full multiplier, and you will do enough damage to kill Defoud or Stratios with simple 3-pack matches. Therefore, IlmNerva has about as easy a time with combo guards as can be expected, while Myr needs to work in a cross and whatever offensive awakenings are required to kill. Second, Minerva's built in shield allows for effortless, brainless, heartless stalling on ~60% of Arena spawns. Myr needs hearts to tank and must clear the board to keep cycling them in. Minerva can take several hits while doing 1 combo at a time, then blast through when orbs become available.

However, IlmNerva has one weakness compared to Myr: damage absorbs. The pairing is susceptible to healing Sopdet, to the point where she triggers an automatic loss on ill-prepared teams. IlmNerva can handle Parv, but care must be taken to avoid letting her use Himalayan Anger, which ignores the shield and depending on team, surpasses the HP cap. To run IlmNerva is to accept the fact that you will face an uphill battle on Sop and Parv. There are precautions you can take, which I will discuss in the Team Basics section and the walkthrough, but expect to die once in a while to bad luck on these two.

Subjectively, there could be other reasons to use IlmNerva besides how she compares to the gold standard. Maybe you're bored of heart cross and want to try a faster take on the tanky bicolor style. Maybe you want to see everyone explode in pretty colors before your Ilm and Saria boards. Maybe you just want a gorgeous Greek Goddess to wink at you while working for Piis.

If IlmNerva sounds right for you, read on.

IlmNerva is pretty flexible with subs. The pairing takes anything that is at least part red and doesn't erase red or yellow. Rows, prongs, sparkles, or hybrid is viable. So I will not list out specific team builds. Experiment and you can always inherit an enhance if Kali becomes a problem.

With God Killer subs, you have to go all or nothing. If you have one or two God Killer subs, you will find it impossible to kill Sopdet. You will end up damaging Sop with some subs and healing her with others at best, or at worse you will damage her consistently and still die for not doing enough. It is much easier to damage Sopdet with either zero God Killers, or 4.

Generally speaking, you want to bring a bind clear, a heartmaker, a delay, and a red + yellow changer. A bind clear is highly recommended on Minerva, but you could also have her carry a delay and leave binds to someone like Gadius.

No matter what team you build, you need to test your damage first. Go into Endless, pop an Ilm active, solve the board as appropriate for your team's rows or combos, and take a screenshot to examine how much damage it does. You need to shoot for about 3.5M damage per card, if you want to consistently beat Kali in 2 shots, or ~10M per card for a consistent one-shot.

If you come up short on damage in your tests, you will need a gravity and/or an enhance. For example, a Sakuya gravity will allow you to escape Kali's high-health nuke with 2.8M per card instead of 3.5M. Sakuya gravity would also reduce the one-shot threshold for Kali from ~10M per card to 8.5M per card.

The absolute best enhance for IlmNerva is probably Silk, given the abundance of sparkle awakenings on cards like Tsubaki, Cao, and Antares. Facet or Carat can also work well, or even something as simple as Freyr or Yomi. IlmNerva doesn't need a massive 4X enhance for Arena, so don't be afraid to experiment.

A question asked more than it needs to for most teams is "what latents should I use?" Generally, a team only needs latents to the extent that they orevent death by pre-emptives. Latents matter little for IlmNerva because you can easily tank Dairy Queen and Lifive. SDR are nice if you have them. Otherwise, don't sweat the latents too much.

Your badge should either be an HP badge or a finger badge, since none of the other ones really matter for IlmNerva. You have ample RCV/ATK by merit of the leader skills. Use the HP badge if it can push your HP above 31K, since this will enable you to survive Parv's rage attack. If your team already has 31K HP before badges, go for the finger badge for ease of clearing the board.

Floor by floor walkthrough:
    F1- Nothing too threatening. Kill yellow ninjas before their countdown expires, but otherwise you are free to stall. Make sure you have 5 SBR before advancing, and stall as needed toward that end. Red and purple ninjas are free stalling buddies.

F2- If Dark Izanami, try to kill immediately with a fast active. Her poison and jammers can be really bothersome. If Light Izanami, kill without actives; she hits soft and makes orbs for you. If Kaguya, whack her full blast so she turns yellow and revives. Then chip her down with partial activation (e.g. red but no yellow) until Resolve breaks, stall out the bind, and kill.

F3- If Dragon Zombie or Voice, you can stall a few turns, especially if DIza spawned previously and reduced your orb time. Just keep the zombie above 50% while stalling. If Amon or Kamui, kill in the first turn or two.

F4- Delay if you have it. These demons will brutally murder you if they survive with even 1 HP, so blast them harder than you think is sufficient. Shoot for a row plus full activation.

F5- Kill Kraken or Griffin quickly, before they bind anyone. Can stall as needed on the others. But kill Phoenix within 7 turns to avoid his nuke. Everything on this floor is made of paper.

F6- If you have a bind cleric, this floor is mostly safe as houses. If not, things could get rough. Clear binds and activate fully to clear the floor. Active if needed. If you get skill locked by Ra Tama, prioritize targets you don't resist and try not to panic. Can stall forever on Ra Tama and Rodin Tama. You need to kill Yomi Tama before she gets her 2nd move. Try to walk off skill lock before advancing.
    F7- if Zhou Yu, use Ilm the first turn and do your best to combo in the dark, letting Ilm's Dragon Killer do the work. Do not worry about rows or prongs. Just separate your combos as able. You must drop him below 50% in the first turn, or you are fucked. Kill second turn.

If Zhang Fei or Zhao Yun, kill immediately.
    If Gaia, hoard hearts after she does "Clod of Blessing", and use them after she does "Earth Gravity." Delay or heartmaker if heart trolled with less than 18K HP.

F8- Kill Hermes immediately, before he can bind anyone or make jammer skyfalls. All others can be killed without actives, with a few stall turns if needed.

F9- really easy floor. The 2 Shieldra types you don't resist can't absorb you. Kill without actives. Stall as needed.

F10- do not sleep on this floor. Even if you can resist their attacks, they have low HP and devastating rage attacks. If you must stall, do not match red or yellow. Kill with full activation, but don't use any huge actives.

F11- if Ronia or Blonia, you can stall until a clean shot is lined up. If Gronia, you must delay or kill on the first turn. If LFagan, burst him like he's the demons you fought earlier. He has a brutal rage nuke. If DFagan, can stall a turn or two before killing.

F12- Stall a few turns and try to kill without actives. Go ahead and kill early if the board permits. Full activation with a yellow prong should work, regardless of team.
    F13- If Osiris, active and kill immediately. If Sphinx, stall as much as you want and kill when ready; he can't kill you above 50%. If Medjedra, avoid matching red as you stall out the leader swap, then kill with full activation.

If Sopdet, you are honestly 98% fucked. Matching only red or yellow will not do enough damage to kill her in time. Also, your best efforts to achieve only partial activation (e.g., 1 red, 1 yellow, 3 combos) will be sabotaged by skyfalls, healing Sopdet. Good luck.

EDIT: Courtesy of @Eustace , you can safely damage Sopdet if your team has no God Killers, and you do 4 combos with only 1 red match and 1 yellow mach. If you get overwhelmed with red and yellow orbs, try to match them in a blob with minimal off-color combos.

F13- All spawns are easily killed with full activation and can be stalled on for a turn or two. Avoid actives.

F14- if Kagu, avoid matching red until you can delay him. If you have no delay, you will need to either: A. Eat his 99-turn delay by hitting him full force, or B. Pray for no skyfalls into full activation, at least until his HP drops to 49%. If you trigger his 99-turn delay, try not to panic. You can regain your skills on the following floors. Just try to save red and yellow as you finish off Kagu's last 1 HP.

If Venus, kill with full activation at your leisure. Keep her above 50% to resist her attacks. Keep bind clear handy for after she dies.

If Meimei, pop an active and kill immediately with full activation. Alternatively, if you have Yamato, you can let Meimei attack the first turn and then use Yamato for a really pretty board. Yamato turns a Meimei board into a Saria board!

If Parv, chip her down with partial activation (only red or only yellow is effective) and try to save some hearts with each "Calming Mountain Wind". Delay her or put up a shield when she's around half health, and keep chipping away with partial activation.

F15- Stall the first turn while saving red/yellow and 3 hearts. Try to kill 2nd turn with full activation, with prongs of either color. Avoid actives unless you become unable to avoid the poison.

You can erase the poison with no net HP loss, if you also clear a roughly equal number of hearts. This is especially helpful if you are trying to fight back from a 99-turn Kagutsuchi delay.

YOU MUST HAVE 23K HEALTH AS YOU KILL GRISAR. OTHERWISE, ZEUS DIOS WILL KILL YOU ON THE NEXT FLOOR.

F16- Any Zeus can be safely stalled on above 50%. Mercury and Dios will not hit you on their first turn. Treat this floor as your last chance to stall for actives, because nothing is guaranteed from here on out.

When stalling on these guys, try to do either of the following:
    A. Match red or yellow, 1 combo total.
    B. Combo as much as you want without red or yellow.

Kill with full activation, no actives, when all actives are ready.
    F17- Gran absolutely cannot kill you above 50%. Avoid actives and chip her below 50 with partial activation. Red and no yellow works well. Kill Gran with full activation after Resolve breaks.

Threedia is made of paper. Kill in 1 or 2 turns with minimal actives. Full activation with packs of 3 is fine.

Lifive dies to full activation. Mix in a yellow prong for good measure, working Ilm's Dragon Killer. Use a smaller active if needed. If you come up short, you must hit 6 combos on the next turn to finish him off. Failure to kill in 2 turns will ultimately make Lifive no-sell all your attacks and then kill you.

Zaerog can be tricky, but not impossible. If he absorbs dark, just kill him with full activation first turn. Color and Killer advantage helps a lot. If he absorbs light, stall it out while clearing the board for hearts, or delay him. He can't kill you if you keep healing. But you can kill him when he puts up a dark absorb.

Note that Zaerog will always follow this attack pattern: Set light or dark absorb, no attack > gravity (50% for you) > 10K hit plus random bind > 15K hit plus jammers > repeat. This means you should always hoard hearts during his absorb and gravity turns, and heal during the rest. Try not to panic if somebody gets bound. You have color advantage and can walk it off.

Defoud is surprisingly not horrible for IlmNerva. Few leads can actually say that. You have 7 turns to kill him with full activation; no rows or crosses needed. Take a turn or two to stall and hoard red/yellow. Then kill with as many red and yellow combos as you can get. Don't worry about rows or prongs. You don't need them.

F19-

Dark Hera is an easy kill with full activation. Stall if needed, but try to keep her above 50%.

Beelzebub, Athena, and Hera Is should be killed immediately with a board change, but not Ilm. Both do unspeakably nasty things below half health.

Hera Ur can be freely stalled on. She puts up a combo guard below half, so be mindful of that if you're stalling hardcore. Kill when ready with full activation.

F20- This battle is largely determined by your preparations made leading up to this. If you made it this far with actives to spare, you have basically won already. Pop Ilm and whatever gravity or enhance you have available and swing for the fences. As a general rule of thumb, you must do ~3.5M per card of going for a 2-shot, or 10M per card for the one shot. How exactly you get there will depend on team. See the Team Basics section for suggestions on assuring a proper burst.

If Kali survives, relax and take a couple stall turns to catch your breath if needed. Remember that you resist all her attacks and can heal to full with just 3 hearts and 4 combos. Don't force yourself to try and kill Kali through a board blind. Heal, avoid matching red and yellow combined, and wait for a clean opening. When you have a good shot, trust in your team's power and go for it. For reference, I typically use Ilm on my first turn, then polish off the last ~45% of Kali's life with either Saria or Antares + Tsubaki.

F21- basically impossible to die unless you went through a severe bout of heart troll while finishing off Kali. Just ping the Py down and keep healing. If you win, congratulations. If not, take a nap, grab a beer, grab some coffee, or something and come back later. It happens. Shit happens. A lot, sometimes.

Happy hunting and enjoy the fireworks. If you have any questions, please tag me so that I can respond. I will do my best to answer. And I will gladly revise this guide as new info becomes available.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Tek7, foxwaffles, Seanna and 7 others like this.
  2. Freddyfudrucker

Freddyfudrucker Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Freddyfud
    Or just blow shit up with Ilm x 2!

Nice guide Gene, thanks!

3. King Spin

King Spin That Guy

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Love the guide i took my minerva x ilm set up through yesterday and got parv as long as i only got 1 of either color and 4 combos there was no heal issue for me so she went down pretty easy from above nuke range lol

Screenshot_2016-12-13-16-53-57-1.png Screenshot_2016-12-13-16-54-58-1.png

ViewtifulGene likes this.
  4. Revelate

Revelate Well-Known Member

PADherder:
    link
    Was Sopbitch simply an issue because of the almighty Antares Godkiller, or was it an overall team damage control issue?

5. King Spin

King Spin That Guy

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Overall damage control for me just now antares wasnt helping but even keeping the rest of my team under was riculous minervas base was a joke but adding in her 2x was working except that doing the needed damage and keeping both orbs on the board without ilms 4 combo activating was impossible lol

6. ViewtifulGene

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I have never run without God Killers because it would require me to completely reshuffle my inherits and Tan Infestation is NEVER available when I am. But I have heard from others without God Killers that Sopdet is still a horrible floor. You can take away the God Killers, but you can't stop the runaway skyfalls.

King Spin likes this.
  7. Eustace

Eustace Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I run without god-killers (3x Tsubaki and an Ilm as subs, A. Sakuya on Minerva as my only inherit). I haven't been keeping close track, but I'd guess I've got a 75% success rate on Sopdet overall (and it's getting better with every attempt). My current strategy is:

1) If I'm flooded with either light or red, match it as one blob, do 1-3 combos without matching the other color, and hope.
    2) Otherwise, match 1 red, 1 light, and 2 others, while trying to arrange the board to minimize skyfall (and hide light/red orbs where I'd need ridiculous RNG to skyfall into them).
    3) If Sopdet is really low on health and there are a couple turns left, do the above strats, but don't do the off-color matches, to reduce chances of bad skyfall.

Mostly, if I can do option 2 twice in a row without getting bit by red/light skyfall, I'm fine. Sometimes skyfall happens, but by being aggressive about it, I only die if I get multiple rounds of red/light skyfall.

That said, I think the answer is to either go with no god killers, or put 3-4 on the team, so that you don't have one guy with a god killer cancelling out the rest of the team.

8. ViewtifulGene

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Thanks for the insight. I incorporated your comments into the walkthrough for F13 and gave you credit.

I'm not quite comfortable retracting my statements on Sop being a bad matchup yet, (removing all God Killers is a tragedy and using all God Killers is limiting for most boxes), but this is encouraging. I'll do seem testing with an alternate build, once I can get some more Tans. I'm hoping that Dantalion and his 5 sparkles can up the team's DPS without pushing anyone over the limit.

9. Eustace

Eustace Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Out of curiosity, I made a list of the gods in A1 for god-killer consideration. After looking at the list, I think that god killers aren't necessary before floor 17, but for 17+, it can help if you don't have certain subs on your team. The three things that make god-killers unnecessary are:
    1) Tsubaki (dragon-killer ult) - Cleans up Lifive on floor 18 if people consider that a problem. Also makes DKali a joke.
    2) Gravity inherit somewhere for LKali (A. Sakuya on Minerva is great).
    3) A spare Ilm for floor 19 (having two burst board changes is great).

Floor 2 everyone: They're all easy anyway
    Floor 6 tamadras: Activating Ilm's LS is usually enough to clear the floor anyway.
    Floor 7 Gaia - She's green with low health, so damage isn't an issue
    Floor 8 Ares, Hermes, Artemis, Apollo - pretty easy already.
    Floor 10 celestials - already easy
    Floor 11 Dark Fagan - Dark Dragon, Ilm will shred him anyway
    Floor 12 EKMD - God killer would be nice here, but you've got several turns to build a board with 4 light and 6 red.
    Floor 13 Everything but Sphinx. Sopdet is the only challenging one, but godkillers are a liability.
    Floor 17 Zeuses - Good on Mercury, not needed on Dios. For everyone else it makes it harder to stall if you're using Zeus as a stall floor.
    Floor 18 Lifive - God killers would be nice here, but won't be necessary when we get Tsubaki's new ult.
    Floor 19 Many gods, God killers appreciated, but not necessary on Hera-Is and Athena.
    Floor 20 God killers are a good way to deal with LKali, not needed for DKali because of Ilm's color/dragonkiller advantages.

ViewtifulGene and grinder like this.
  10. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

User ID:
    [US] 375 256 244
    PADherder:
    link
    Agree with this comment, but would add that a gemstone card works well here too. I use Silk on a Tsubaki sub and I've never had an issue with L.Kali.

This is my favorite A1 team by far now. My biggest issues are skyfall into a 100x when I mean to stall. I think the majority of the floors are pretty workable with this team. Sopdet is still it pain, but the 1 red + 1 light + 2 combos works really well for me and that floor is usually over in 2-3 turns, so I have some turns to spare if I don't have the orbs.

My team is R.Minerva / Tsubaki x2 / Saria / Ilm / Ilm Friend

wangatang0830 and King Spin like this.
  11. uncleaner

uncleaner Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Heads up if you need SDR latents that the Special Descended Rush is really easy to farm with Ilm leads and Tsubaki's dragon killer evo that just hit, I ran a ton tonight and tamas seem to invade about every four runs. Insane for rank xp and box trophies too.

The basic team is Ilm, Tsubaki, Tsubaki or Chiyome, a delay or poison to deal with Volsung(Cao Cao, Rodin, Echidna etc), and Leilan or any other fullboard with enough skill boosts to make the team work. Only inherit needed is a Godin for the Linthia floor, and an Ilm should have 2 SDR latents in case a tama invade can't be tanked. Other than that it's easy, Tsubaki nukes so hard that you just have to activate Ilm's leader skill to sweep, with the only exceptions being Scarlet who needs a r+r+l match and Z8 who needs a row and combos.

1 Tsubaki teams or Ilm/Minerva split leads should work fine too if you combo harder and do r+r+l matches on Volsung and Gainut, the only problem might be getting trolled by locked orbs on Z8.

12. ViewtifulGene

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I swapped out my 2 God Killers and had a couple more test runs. I didn't feel any particularly painful decreases in DPS, i.e. I can still kill combo guard enemies without rows or prongs, but I did finally get a Sopdet kill. At one point I skyfalled up to 7 combos and was still safe.

I softened my language on Sopdet in the introduction and added a few notes for Sop and Parv in the Team Basics section.

Tsubaki and Dantalion are my 2 favorite subs right now. Those Double Dragon Killers are phenomenal, as are Dant's 5 sparkles and monstrous HP.

13. grinder

User ID:
    [US] 375 256 244
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm missing something. How does this team deal with Z8? First turn he would have 75% shield and then the next turn he would bind 3 cards. Seems like that would end the run.

14. Freddyfudrucker

Freddyfudrucker Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Freddyfud
    Ilm X 2 and dragon killers shred that shield.

15. grinder

User ID:
    [US] 375 256 244
    PADherder:
    link
    Hmmm...I'm evidently underestimating the power of my Tsubakis with 2xdragon killer

This team looks great then..

King Spin and Freddyfudrucker like this.
  16. uncleaner

uncleaner Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I had a really unlucky run where I got to Z8 with half the board locked and still one shot him with two fire and light matches and a bunch of combos or something like that. 9x killers are insane.

Ilm has dragon killer and color advantage too so he does work if you make some light TPAs.

grinder and King Spin like this.
  17. Gargoyle242

Gargoyle242 Cunnin' Linguist

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I have 2x Tsubaki, 1 of each evo. Would anyone recommend I make both the new dragon killer evo, or should I leave 1 R/L?
    Also, would this team do alright in A1?: RevNerva/Tsubaki x2/Kenshin(Saria SI)/Gadius/Ilm(FL)

18. ViewtifulGene

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Sounds good.

I don't really see a point to the RL ultimate except as a lead.

19. Doc20

Doc20 Active Member

Thank you for this guide, pulled the trigger on hypering my team this morning and wow. I understand the hype now. I used RNerva(GRodin)/ALeilan/RLtsubaki/RevoShiva(AFreyr)/Ilm/friend Ilm. Mostly random layents sprinkles throughout with minor focus on green resist. Really made it pretty trivial

20. ItsTrace

ItsTrace New Member

User ID:
    This guide has helped me clear Arena so many times so far, so thank you so much for the work you've put into it!

I've been running Minerva (A Sakuya)/Sub Tsubaki (Saria)/Sub Tsubaki/RG Antares/LR Ilm/ Friend LR Ilm.

The main place I would like to change up is the inherited Saria being my only heart maker. There's been quite a few times I'm either stalling or getting in a jam and only have two hearts on the board.

I have been thinking of either inheriting some of my other Sarias onto the other Tsubaki and Antares. Or swapping out Antares for either Kiriko Another, Denebola (Saria), Xmas Hatsume (Saria) or Yamato. I've also seen Dantalion mentioned in this thread but worried he would break needed light orbs. What are everyone's thoughts?

Besides that I haven't run into any other issues besides my runs with Sopdet.

My Minerva has 5 fire latents, as does my Ilm, but those are the only latents and they aren't really needed.