Where is my dark ritual? MTG Collab Rolls

Discussion in 'Rants and Accomplishments' started by Cheeseghost, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I kind of regret blowing 50 stones in the previous godfest, but I guess I'm only saying that because I didn't get anything worthwhile whereas I could have saved my stones for this collab instead. I know the entire collab didn't have spectacular monsters but there were some that are pretty good, Vraska in particular. Anyways, having played MTG when I was much younger, I decided to blow the rest of my stones.

Chandra
    Jace
    Shivan
    Liliana
    Shivan
    Vraska (!!!)
    Jace
    Liliana
    Nissa
    Liliana
    Chandra
    Nissa
    Gideon

So I got the only diamond I wanted from the whole collab and I'm pretty psyched about it. I haven't played a green team since R.Bastet days which was forever ago so Vraska is a welcomed addition. I can probably see myself playing her for a while, the only thing I'm worried about is that because she's a collab leader AND she isn't what most people would consider "meta" or an S-tier lead, it might prove difficult to find friends who run her in the long-term. Having messed around with her team, she does seem very capable but I still have yet to run A1 with her to get a good feel for how good she really is. Paprika made a video yesterday running her and it was pretty impressive, granted, he did use some monsters that are unavailable in NA.

One notable 'garbage' pull is Nissa, she gives a 4x damage increase to green monsters for a turn. It's not quite as powerful as Bacches (5x, 2 turn haste) but it does come up 5 turns faster and I don't have Bacches anyway so Nissa will likely go onto my Vraska team as an assist.

Overall, I'm not too upset. In hindsight, I could have probably stopped after Vraska or my first Nissa but I'm getting to the point in my PAD life where I have most of what I need/want so throwing stones at a collab doesn't feel like a bad idea anymore. Also, the fact that they removed pantheons in godfests makes it much more difficult to chase certain monsters so I have one less reason to save stones.

PS: Where are my Sengir Vampires at though? :(

2. Yani NP

Yani NP Believe in the heart of the skyfall Gods!

User ID:
    Oh trust me there are quite a lot of people out there lead with her including me. She's great but the RCV is pretty shitty and you will need some kinda green boost to blast thru the last floor on some dungeon. Personally I love using her 'cause GREEN is love~

Murdurus likes this.
  3. Roland

Roland Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    ran a pack on my alt

Wanted Karn to mess with a jammer team.

Ended up getting Jhoira x5, Vraska x2, and Bolas x1. Of course I got the 5* so was happy about a set, still no Karn though.

On my main ran what I had

Vraska x1, Bolas x1, the rest 5*, need to consider a pack, but maybe this is enough.

Now to figure out what I want to do with 5x Jhoira

4. chiubag

chiubag Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Trade four of them for Karn? Or Jhoira x 3 + Vraska.

5. taen

taen Member

PADherder:
    link
    Yolo rolled once (beyond the free) and got Nicol. Doesnt seem as though there is anything here I need and I have a lot of evo/leveling work elsewhere to keep me busy for a *while*

-T

6. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I just slap on the recovery badge and she seems to do alright but yeah, her damage isn't exactly stellar but that's kind of the trade off; it's one of the reasons why I think SI Nissa onto the team is a good idea.

7. Roland

Roland Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    umm, no

8. Vaedriel

Vaedriel Lost in the Shadows

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Doesn't her EQ assist need the REM Jhoira card? So keep two and make two EQ SIs?

9. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

PADherder:
    link
    It works out to 68% damage reduction

chiubag and Cheeseghost like this.
  10. Cheeseghost

Cheeseghost Lazyyyyy

User ID:
    Thank you!! I never do the math right...That's a pretty decent shield tbh and if you shove a yuna or indra inherit you can tank a big hit

Hudson likes this.
  11. iddybat

iddybat Active Member

Ok, I took the plunge and traded for Jhoira. Pairs with my alt's DIdeal. Probably not as powerful as pairing with Yusuke (although honestly I'm terrible at math, so who knows), but it's easier to activate, and it's fun! Which is the point of playing a game.

12. chiubag

chiubag Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    What? You said you wanted Karn to start with :D

13. Roland

Roland Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I just feel bad trading away good cards for Karn. Maybe I will.

14. Cheeseghost

Cheeseghost Lazyyyyy

User ID:
    The cool thing about karn is you can run any color realistically, you have a great active in light fenrir on a low cd, and dark fenrir cd is only 4 so you can inherit that as well...my biggest gripe is that it's 4x and 3x not 6x and 2x, you need 4 jammers for a measly 9x atk so you either need to 7c to make up for damage or have lots of jammer changers and orb management, you shouldn't match more than the 3 and 4 jammers per floor and horde the rest

15. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    After chatting with spouse, I did another pack, as spouse pointed out that if all good things must come to an end, the proper way to go out is with a flourish, and not sadness. Kinda agree with Gene there isn't enough stuff to run once you've done end game and are waiting on new content, but I still have some fun with luzly teams and haven't gotten all the weird callers that never drop.

I extended the all silvers streak from 20 to 34 rolls without a diamond. Ouch.
    Then finally hit...Karn. Because Yogg really needed a sub? Ffs gungho.
    38 was Jhoira though, right when I thought it would go 1 for 40.
    So, 2 for 40. Just brutal rather than epicly brutal. That DBDC/FoTS streak - sheesh. The feels.
    Sacked 3 Kanna and a Viz for Vraska and called it a day, with 3 out of 4 cards of interest.

I work in fin.tech, so...statistics. Still.
    When you buy MtG boxes, you may not get the Mythic you're chasing for sure, but the box guarantees a minimum distribution of mythics and a fairly balanced value. Because Wizards of the Coast competently knows how to create a decent product and eliminate the worst parts of tail risk and negative psychology, and Gungho just stumbles blindly along.

Jhoira + Nicol Bolas split lead, with Amen and Yomi as all-the-time-extends! subs, and try to full clear the 6x7 board.
    Actually somewhat challenging, for decent damage, although it's not displacing any meta leads.
    Probably Bolas + D.Ideal for the bonus seconds would be easier, but vastly better themed to do both MtG leads.

Vaedriel likes this.
  16. Cheeseghost

Cheeseghost Lazyyyyy

User ID:
    Cleared a1 with karn d Ideal bc nobody has karn up lol think it would be harder with karn karn...maybe I'll try bolas jhoira?

17. iddybat

iddybat Active Member

I'm house sitting for a friend who used to play, but hasn't logged in in forever... but he left his iPad lying around. So of course I rolled three times... and got two diamonds (Karn and Vraska). If you believe in these kinds of conspiracy theories, this is great evidence... :)

Murdurus likes this.
  18. ko300zx

ko300zx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    I don't know if you are familiar with DzyDzyDino. Streams PAD on twitch all week. Took 49 rolls for him to get his first Diamond. Has been rolling since (probably a similar number of rolls) and hasn't gotten a 2nd one yet. These rates seem absurd. I haven't actually looked at them to see if they are pretty normal or not.

19. taen

taen Member

PADherder:
    link
    sounds a great deal like my luck at the start a few years back. When Rsonia was the meta, i could NOT roll her for anything. I finally said, eff it, I bought 10 packs and got my first Rsonia around the 400th roll in. Granted, I believe the rates were much worse in those days, but even still... it is disheartening.

-T

20. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    The rates are the normal 90-10 split.

The simple formula 0.90^20 = 0.12157665459 means 12% of the time gungho likes to sprinkle salt and player hate with a 20 roll silver streak.

0.90^49 = 0.00572641689, half a percent, or 200 to 1 against.

Why they let that tail of sadness exist...shakes head...just suboptimal product design. You can eliminate the worst of the 1-2 percent tail with an algorithmic finger on random number generator scales or a logical check that any streak of, say, 20 auto-breaks, and only marginally affect the overall distribution of rarity.

People sometimes trot out the argument that rage rolling is a deliberate thing to aim at creating, but I've never bought that it's net beneficial vs the damage to retention and review ratings. Plus making an actually fun product and being creative is why people actually go into careers in game design and coding and such.

So I've always thought its just a regrettable inertia and habit-blinded design - people with business degrees who don't code (or see the world itself in code), rarely grasp all the things code could do that physical products can't. Your MTG box full of paper cards can't dynamically adjust itself.

Someone will get it right one day, and level up the industry, and people will wonder why the dark ages ever lasted as long as they did. And then we'll pepperridge about our epic streaks.

That and an actual card ability just goes digitally native and codes for any random active in the whole card pool. The things code can do - so easily! - that physical games can't....

Edit: I'll check out dzy. I've been on a 100 lives super expert Mario maker kick lately with Ryukar and carlsagan42 streams. Thx.

iddybat likes this.