Why does everyone obsess over a "meta"?

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by asianskinhead, Sep 20, 2017.

1. asianskinhead

asianskinhead Harem King

I quit this game 2 years ago (Maybe more) due to a number of reasons, mostly how I felt the game wasn't very fun anymore. I just came back to the game 1 week ago, and have found so much new stuff has come, and I'm trying to get back into the game through modernization. What I found was that most people used a certain monster, and the ones I used have all but been disregarded.

Today, I was looking through old cards on padx and found halloween XM. Looking through the comments reminded me 1 of the main reasons why I quit the game: "metas".
    It seems that if a card is not within the current meta, no matter how good it may be, it's trash. This was part why I quit; a new meta comes out, you finish building that ideal meta, and then... Boom. NEW META. Your current meta isn't used anymore and no one will add you unless you are part of the new meta.

I've always wondered why people care so much for this. FGO has tons of team combinations like Pad, yet NO ONE pays any attention to the meta. Why is this community so obsessed with it?

Tux likes this.
  2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Semi-IAP..damn you GH

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    If you are going to read the comments about a card on PADX you are going to have a bad time.

blackelemental, tanpopo, Trap and 2 others like this.
  3. らぶたん

らぶたん 元AKB48

"meta" is just another way to describe what is strong right now and what part of the game is getting attention by Gungho (and what the game is getting tuned around). so a card that isn't considered meta might still be usable for older content, but you'd have difficulties clearing newer content with it. that also explains why nobody wants friends with that kind of lead because friendlists are limited and a lot of players wouldn't care for friendleads that they can't clear current content with.

4. Knomraski

Knomraski Bowl of Herp

I'm sure you already know this, but cards are generally ranked with letter grades which supposedly correlate with their ability to tackle the hardest content in the game. The grades typically range from C to B to A to S and sometimes to SS or SSS+.

There are literally dozens of cards that "suck" too much to even make it on the list that are still sufficiently powerful to clear Arena 3, Super Colloseum or the most brutal new Annihilation dungeon.

Play what you enjoy. Chances are pretty good the team's potential is greater than your ability (at least that's the case for me.)

Take Cindy Crawford for example. She hasn't been a Top 50 model in 15 years. That wouldn't stop me from enjoying her company for a night- assuming she didn't immediately scream and call the police.

bp1976 and Sparkle like this.
  5. Fendeezy

Fendeezy Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Strong multipliers, synergistic active skills/awakenings, and ease of use are all great qualities of life changes. In a game that encourages grinding and farming who wouldn't want to make the process less tedious? Nothing is stopping anyone from using whatever they want, it just means they have to invest more time and resources to make your non-meta team capable of clearing tougher content. And sometimes there are non-meta teams that are capable of clearing things, for example I'm currently working on a Reincarnated Hades team to take down Hera Dragon, no inherits, just max-skilled and plus egged can make do.

6. awkward.fistbumps

awkward.fistbumps semi-retired from pad. Full stam most days

PADherder:
    link
    We hype each other out so we keep playing the game. Probably.

Raizel and Sparkle like this.
  7. kiarahakura

kiarahakura One Piece Collab

User ID:
    311 462 320
    PADherder:
    link
    There are plenty of people who play "off meta" teams and cards (look at me!). However I think the way the limited friend system is designed sort of feeds into this "don't add friends I can't use". Because you can only share 2-3 leads at a time it makes someone like me who loves dozen of leads struggle with the question "who do I make available today?". I really wish Gungho would make some sort of clone mechanism even if cost you gold. Or if they could update the friend system to allow BF's to show ALL the leads they have assigned to their team slots....

Either way, just play what you want and I'm sure there are others out there who also play that lead. You may need to add a little more time to find said friends but at least you'll be playing the team you want to play. :)

Tux, Murdurus and Tek7 like this.
  8. Espadas

Espadas You're gonna have a bad time

You called? :smuggrin:

Anyway i totally agree with @kiarahakura , if we could see more cards from our friends it would be a freaking good thing.
    Right now, everytime i need a less used lead (or heaven forbid a split-lead) i have to setup the team as Team 1 and refresh the random partners until i get what i'm looking for :meh:

Regarding the "meta" discussion.... there will ALWAYS be a meta, simply because some cards are just plain better at dealing with endgame. But just because something is better doesn't make all the rest worthless.
    I'm building FF teams and i fully plan to try hard content with them because i WANT to play with the FF cards (despite owning an almost ideal Dath team).
    Nothing stop you from having both a "meta" team and what you just LIKE to play as team.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Sparkle likes this.
  9. Snarf

Snarf PAD Bosses Derezzed | Boromir 332,879,306

User ID:
    For me it's because of the stamina mechanic and real life time. I could experiment or dick around with a subpar team or just take in one of the most powerful leads / teams I can field and increase my chances of beating first try.

That said, there are times when I'm content to waste time and stamina banging up against a high end dungeon with a lesser team.

ViewtifulGene and Knomraski like this.
  10. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn You can't take the sky from me. Staff Member

User ID:
    It's not like everyone's a snob. The main problem, as @kiarahakura said, is the friend system. You can only leave two leads up for people (or three for bfs), so it's hard to leave up less popular leads, and therefore hard to find them.

I agree with @awkward.fistbumps too. Getting excited about the hot new thing keeps people engaged, especially veterans and big spenders who already have most of the stuff.

There are still 50+ leads who can clear almost everything. You just have to find people who run them.

philsov and Tek7 like this.
  11. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I completely agree with @MisterDrgn and @kiarahakura.

I've lost track of how many times I've put a team together to tinker around in Endless, then backed out because no one else was running that same lead. Earlier tonight, I wanted to give my WIP Awoken Oichi team another try but ended up just turning my phone off (which isn't so terrible, but I'm making a point here).

12. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    I'm assuming you know Cindy has an IQ around 150 and studied chemical engineering before becoming a model. Just fucking saying. I chuckled when the gratuitous sex object example you gave was actually someone legit worth taking the effort to meet in real life, to have a good conversation with and respect.

I still dont think I understand Anubis-Diablos, despite how popular daily play he is. When big clock reduces hit I suddenly start cascade solving the boards after actually pausing to think, or come away post-reduce solving column style where the columns are one mid-match and a vertical fall-through, and realize my 11-12 match lazy horizontal/jigsaw normal solves could be board-allowing adept 13-14 solves if my game was well and truly on point like archery.

Kate beckinsdale. Similar 150 something, Harvard. Did the underworld series, iconic body suit and all, just because an action role felt like an improbable and scary casting stretch. Just. fucking. saying.

I never did figure out the best way to match no-3-match leads. I always felt like they left that design space a little unmined, due to going with a troll heavy dungeon design.

The friend system is neglible pal points.
    Just post up your quirky leads in your first couple slots, people.
    Costs you very little. I only run RevoHathor once or twice a week but keep her up in 1 just to rep a lesser known niche lead that is actually surprisingly viable solo with a light wise dragon inherit on it.

13. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    Yes, everyone please do this. Nobody wants your DAthena with Orochi inherit.

I try to leave up less popular leads, but you can only leave up so many. If Ameno gets any more popular, I may need to stop leaving her up.

toadashi and tanpopo like this.
  14. tanpopo

tanpopo adventure!

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm almost considering going on a D.Athena purge next time my friends list fills up.

LastMinute and toadashi like this.
  15. Ele

Ele on the plus egg hunt

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I like to play underrated leads. Sometimes it can lead to an awesome win. Other times abject failure. But the point is to have fun with the game. You do you.

@Tux played almost exclusively with Rukia for two years I think. Rukia cleared a lot more than a whole lot of people gave her credit for.

In the end, you need to play the leads you have, the ones you like and you can always pair with a more 'meta' lead.

16. Noobzilla

Noobzilla noobest of the noobs

User ID:
    Games like this will always have some "meta". Heck even FPS games like Overwatch has "meta". It's a bit of a pain to play non-meta leads since you basically can't play that lead unless you have a friend with it up too (or some pairings). It helps a little bit to have a ton of friends, but even with my 250 friends it's still a bit PITA. You just have to work harder to find friends that don't play all meta.

It helps that I have been playing the game for a while and I only BF people who aren't very meta like @kiarahakura. Also helps that I have a ton of cards now and I experiment with teams... but yeah, still centers arounds what friends have up :/

17. choowy

choowy Active Member

User ID:
    choowy
    PADherder:
    link
    When you say 50+ leads almost who can clear almost everything, what does that include up to and are you considering coop?

18. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    I'm thinking up to Arena 1, solo mode. Probably we could include Mythical Plus Descends, for the most part. If you want to talk about C10s and Arena 2, the number goes down, but it really depends on someone's sub quality, skill level, and familiarity with the lead.

50+ is just a vague approximation anyway. The point is, there are a lot.

EDIT: graps solo cleared A3 with 25 leads, and all of them were blue. But I'm sure that took more dedication (and skill and monster quality) than most people have.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    kiarahakura likes this.
  19. lemontree

lemontree coop is my only weakness

User ID:
    As an stats and economics student, I see it as a resource problem. Everything you have is limited - stones, stamina as well as your play time. People are simple, they want to maximize returns with the lowest amount of inputs as possible. Having cards in the current meta will lower your usage of all those resources and maximize returns. The new gameplay is also exciting as it departs from the the general match 3 gameplay.

20. ko300zx

ko300zx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Nailed it. If we could play endlessly at no cost, people would play anything and everything they wanted, but to progress, you can't fail often. Better the teams, the more likely you are to succeed and progress. That's why you see people playing a lot of non-meta teams for lower level challenges. Still a high likelihood of success, but it also lets them play things they want to play rather than need to play. There's also a skill factor. If we were all god-tier players, we could get away with far more non-meta teams, but most of us aren't so we need to stick with what works.