You You Tournament

Discussion in 'Rants and Accomplishments' started by BurningMan, Aug 28, 2018.

1. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    I just want to say

F1: speedy natural 9 combo -> skyfalls to 13
    "ok"
    F2: Double orb changer guy, 12 combo
    "Necessary but fine. Let's keep it crisp and high velocity."
    F3: Laila row and skyfalls to 12
    "This run is going well."
    F4: gadius and nice ratios, 10 combo pre-skyfall
    "Nice. This could be the run..."
    Skyfalls to 15...
    Gung-ho:...With wood skyfalls, because fuck you. You thought you could combo through a ranking challenge? Ha. Ha. We pee in your Cheerios with our design. P.S. Don't forget to stone and give us money.

Why is every ranking challenge such bad mannered garbage?

Over JP day 6 cutoff for Yu, and I hope gung-ho posts some revenue losses, and fires people to change things up. Get the hell out with the UY floor wood skyfall choice.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    xer 21 and Murdurus like this.
  2. ko300zx

ko300zx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Nearly every ranking has some similar RNG component that will instantly ruin a good run. It's just the nature of ranking and certainly something to suck more stones out of people. Rikuu, too many skyfalls on the last floor could void damage. Lucky 7, you needed 8 combos on the final floor. PAD Z required rainbow boards with a heavy reliance on fire orbs. I can't recall many that didn't have something that could screw over a good run.

3. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Luck > skill is the motto of ranking dungeons unfortunately. I probably won't spend too much time, energy or frustration into this one, I already have a fully evolved You Yu that I am not using and haven't since I bought him and see even less reason to run two of him on any given team. I wouldn't mind getting some of the other rewards at the higher tiers though, so I might be satisfied enough with a ~25%.

4. ambiguous57

ambiguous57 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Aside from the dumb U&Y skyfall potential, I don't see why this dungeon is such a big deal.

Floor 1: Laila, combo. No need for hearts.
    Floor 2: Orchid if needed.
    Floor 3: This is where you pray that you get 6 hearts in the top 5 rows so you can use your other Laila.
    Floor 4: Gadius + Uriel. Green skyfall won't even matter with this much damage.
    Floor 5: Orchid if needed.
    Floor 6: Laila and win.

Sure, if you want top 10%, you're gonna have a bad time, but what I just listed should easily land you in the top 20%. People have forgotten how to play rows it's easy to get over 20%.

Nachtmacher likes this.
  5. kandjar

kandjar President of the Otaku Waifu Association

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Correction: ALL RANKING dungeons have a BIG part of RNG. Some also include elite team compositions.

6. ko300zx

User ID:
    Not what I'm talking about. Talking about very specific requirements on specific floors. Everyone knows ranking as a whole is RNG-based.

7. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Finally.

57B3C5FE-4EBF-4C90-BF05-F73A62E2A847.png

Please hold? Just barely below JP cutoff. Probably won't, already 2.2%, but maybe? NA please be bad.

8. Flandre

Flandre Scarlet Devil Staff Member

I don't remember for this particular run because I change things up on the fly depending on the board, but generally I do something like this:

F1: Combo if 6 hearts and 3 red or manual match 1 red row if it's not too difficult, or combo and pray for heart skyfall if 5 hearts and 3 red , or Laila if non-activatable board and I don't see an easy path right away
    F2: No active, sometimes might pop Uriel here but usually I'll just restart instead if it's <5 hearts
    F3: No active
    F4: Gadius
    F5: Laila or no active if I see an easy path before the blind
    F6: Laila

tetsusaiga64, HappyNoms and ko300zx like this.
  9. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    Do you build a row f3 or just combo out and hope it's enough?
    Just curious. I'm building a row, vs fully embracing high variance.

Also, well...basically it's gadius f4, Laila f6, and natural solve everything else with a bucket of retries until rng makes the attempts possible, and another bucket of retries until the attemptable solves are actually both quick layouts and skyfall rng bonused.

It makes me extra salty when gadius makes a 5 hearts board f4, but so it goes. As much as I want to quit this one, there's nothing else going on but pulling Tamadra out of coins with autopilot laser buttons. So I guess more ranking retries it is, however nonsensical the design.

I have found uriel is situationally good vs Laila on f1 or on f5 blinds, conditional that seeing how Uriel will orb shift leads to an blitz 4-5 instacombo envisioned speedy half board solve while unblinding into a finished 8-9. Otoh, I don't have 20+ crowns, so default Laila is very possibly better advice.

Thanks for posting your decision-making algorithm.

10. Flandre

Flandre Scarlet Devil Staff Member

Yeah red row on F3, separating the reds into multiple red combos will not kill the dragon more often than not without some skyfall assistance

You can Gadius + Uriel on F4 if you want, I just skip the Uriel to save time

You can pop more actives/different actives than I did and still get a crown score, I just was going for the highest score I could so I try to skip using actives if I can since I'm not lightning fast.

11. ko300zx

User ID:
    Fingers crossed for you. Gonna be super close. I went from 1.8 to 2.7 in Sonia Elle and I got the score on Monday. We're already another day into this one so you have that going for you.

Trap likes this.
  12. xer 21

xer 21 Mathematically the Worst Player on the Forums

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    3 out of my 5 last runs had 8+ combo averages and good time.

used gadius on U and Y.

skyfalls wood.

fuck me.

13. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    It won't hold. Only 1k above cutoff with 5 days left. Will throw more natural stam at it, but no stones. Here's hoping though I suppose.

14. ko300zx

User ID:
    You're .8 from the cutoff with 5 days. I moved .9 in the last 6 with what I think was a much easier tournament (rewards Friday FYI). Still think it will be super close. That 1k means a lot more when you're sub 3% than it does when you're around 20.

Trap likes this.
  15. ko300zx

User ID:
    About to just call it quits on this one. Getting way too frustrated and it only makes me worse. Went through about 300 stam this morning and nearly every floor dropped dead. I will never be good enough to make up the time difference needed to turn an 8 combo average into a good score. Not even sure it's possible.

16. iddybat

iddybat Active Member

Same. My only good run was the result of sky fall, and even that's at 19% now and slowly falling. Hoping for more/better of the same is a rapidly boring strategy...

ko300zx likes this.
  17. xer 21

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    most of my high combo runs were ruined either by green skyfall on F4 or skyfalling tons of hearts on You yu and getting stuck without a 4th combo and/or having a really awkward box to make.

finally broke through last night with a 134,302 score that had me at 11.3%, feels relatively safe, only dropped 0.2% in the past 10 hours. Stoned twice because i feel like You Yu is worth stones, and i was really consistently hitting 125-130k score. got this run like 2 tries into my second stone, so kinda salty but...

anyways, the 10-20% tier is TIGHT. my first break into the top 20 i had 16.1% with a 131k score. that dropped drastically within a day down to 17.8. i know the JP cutoff was like 133k and i was falling fast so im pretty sure that 131k wasnt safe.

18. xer 21

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    The only way to really make up the time is to have free good boards on every F1, F2 and F5. That's happened to me exactly 6 times in about 45 odd runs. i'd say 80% of the time i need an active on either floor 1 or 2 either because of a lack of hearts or a lack of reds. XM's active is sooo slowwww. I know you can technically combo out floor 1 if you have sufficient reds but no hearts, and i've done that but ive had too many fake resolves doing that and you need more than 8 combos for sure and skyfalls take time.

19. ko300zx

User ID:
    I'm talking about a crowning score. If you don't get any skyfalls and an average of 7-8 combos per board, you would need like 200 seconds leftover which I don't even think is possible with this one. You can easily get a sub 20% score popping all the actives you need.

20. xer 21

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    i know you're talking about the crowning score. Still applies, the only way to make up time is not using actives. you are using actives, right? a lot of the crown runs ive seen on youtube still use the laila and gadius actives at the very least. if you're hitting a wall, that's really what's gonna save you the most time.

or are you saying you're getting screwed on skyfall and cant get too far above 8 combos average?

I guess that's fair, on my best run i hit 8 combos a floor (and 5 on you yu) but got no skyfalls except one on U+y) and yeah, it was fast, but it seems you need like a 9+ combo averag eon this one. that's kinda RNG dependant.