You You Tournament

Discussion in 'Rants and Accomplishments' started by BurningMan, Aug 28, 2018.

1. ko300zx

ko300zx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    I know how and where to save time. I simply mentioned that I went through 3/4 of a bar of stam with nearly every floor falling dead and there's simply nothing you can do about it because it's not possible to save enough time, anywhere, if that's going to happen.

2. xer 21

xer 21 Mathematically the Worst Player on the Forums

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    well thats true i guess.

thats why rankings are dumb though. non fixed teams give you team building ways to overcome but boost people with specific cards, and fixed teams are ass that rely on board and skyfall rng.

Fridgeboy, iddybat and ko300zx like this.
  3. ko300zx

User ID:
    I just get pissed when I see stuff like this yet can't buy a skyfall all day long.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PuzzleAndD...ankers_hate_him_pad_player_exposes_well_kept/

If you had average'd 8 combos on that run, that bullshit boosts you to a 9.8 combo average. Just give me some floors with 1 or 2 here and there to give me a fighting chance. Today has been hopeless.

4. xer 21

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    no i feel you. this is honestly why i just dont care about rankings. sure i'll try if the reward is really nice, like You yu here, but otherwise, i just dont have the energy to care about trying when shit like this exists and im over here getting shitty boards all over the place and 7-8 combos cant buy a skyfall unless its green on U And Y. these dungeons are intentionally random to encourage stoning. and i just wont buy into it. its super bullshit.

5. ko300zx

User ID:
    There's just nothing better to do at the moment so I've been committing a lot to them lately. I think they are fun when you're getting SOME luck, but when you're on the short end of the RNG stick, over, and over, it sucks butts. I could certainly be better at the game to overcome this hurdle but come on, help a brother out just a little. I've seen countless videos. The skyfall buff is on for plenty of people.

6. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    This. 1000 times this.

I saw a YouTube today where some random mediocre velocity player got a 144k, from using an ability every floor (!), and making 6-8 combos (?!!), and the skyfall rng machine gave him 3-4 skyfalls five out of six floors (what the hell gung-ho), and a ludicrous 9 combo endfloor when he found messed up and did a three combo that shouldn't have cleared the floor from not being able to deal with having extra hearts in the board's top row.

For fucks sake.

I know all the ranking dungeons are some degree of bad, but this one is a special cancer.

Quoth the Reddit raven:
    Even in the worst case, of skyfall combos coming down one at a time. (If several come down at once your gains are much better)

(5000/F - 200) - 233.3
    Is your net gain. 200 points of time are lost with the combo animation, 233.3 points of time are lost with the orb falling down animation. Thus, plug in values of F and you'll find that:
    You always want skyfall combo for a dungeon that is shorter than 12 floors.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Fridgeboy and ko300zx like this.
  7. ko300zx

User ID:
    This is how my damn day is going. This has never happened to me in A4. Used a Yusuke board at like 45% like I do every single time, had a perfect 10c board. Somehow leaves her like this. That god damn board has never NOT killed from there. WTFing F. Couldn't make a 7c board with the natural shit board I had afterwards. Anger stoned another round of ranking bullshit. I haven't been this pissed at this game in a long time.

[​IMG]

Fridgeboy and sgt502 like this.
  8. HappyNoms

PADherder:
    link
    Lol. Rage stoning.

I tried giving that up in 2017, and now click a donation into a YouTube channel for one thing or another instead. Lately for a person with dissociative identity disorder just trying to get through the day. Makes me nod that balance is restored from the hot gaming garbage getting my inner chill capybara jostled.

Well.
    That and swearing on forums.
    I probably curse more here than I do the rest of the week in real life.

Yusuke with a moogle sub, eh. That's how you roll. Nods.
    I've heard of that before on forums, but was like, no, no I'm not resorting to that actually effective strategy instead of lulzing it up with risky flair. You'll never take the sky from me. Moogle. They couldn't make thematic MTG Jace have a bunch of utility features...

Nachtmacher likes this.
  9. Tyizor

Tyizor Wandering Planaria

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Not a single one of my runs have been blessed by skyfalls, and I'm not good enough to full combo a board in less than the full 7 seconds. Really tired of this dungeon and I might just give it up. Currently at 129k and I don't see myself going higher

ko300zx likes this.
  10. ko300zx

User ID:
    I've at least given up stoning to complete a dungeon. Stamina refreshes are becoming more commonplace though as rank gets higher. Too much XP as rank increases.

Moogle MVP! Rathian on a partner. Makes it a breeze...unless the above happens. :banghead:

11. xer 21

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    welp, seems like we're plateauing. my 11.3 score dipped to 12.3 last night. now its back at 12.2. hope this bodes well for those on the 20% bubble and also the 3% bubble.

12. Tyizor

Tyizor Wandering Planaria

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I admittedly still do this for dungeons that I know for a fact I can clear after said stone. A mix of less time, not having an easily accessible co-op partner, and just caring less overall about PAD contributes to that.

If the scores are plateauing, I might give a few more shots at getting that 20% range. I got a pretty good run overall earlier today, but fucked up on the last floor because I failed to match a 2nd heart combo (lol)

ko300zx likes this.
  13. HappyNoms

PADherder:
    link
    I can speak from well salted experience that clean sweeps with 8 and 9s, briskly under time per floor, with no skyfalls, will score 130-140 and are never going to break you to proper 140-145+ crown territory. So many annoying 135 to 140s I've seen, not catching a proper break. Crisp with no particular luck is quite comfortable to be inside 10 though.

You need skyfall rng, period.
    High velocity clean matching simply isn't enough.

The annoying thing is that I know I'm fast enough, if I just stone a handful and dial in an extra 200+ attempts for lucky bullshit instead of a natural stamina 15-20 attempts or so, but I don't want to stone it on the principle of not rewarding garbage design.

It bothers me in concept that the lucky run I would get, would virtually certainly not be my best or most skillful run. It'd just be some decent run most likely not even in my top 10 attempts that just happened to random skyfall. That's what I'm supposed to be proud about? That's like the opposite of proud, knowing I bought the luck vs the next guy who had a budget or real life responsibilities.

---

What I wish is that every run would remember it's random number starting seed, and random number progressions for the run. Any time a player less than 1% enters a ranking dungeon run, the game gives you the starting board layout and random number progression from a randomly picked run that scored above you.

It's so rare gung-ho bothers to be an actual tech company, with an actual digital product, and explores what a nonphysical game can do. Eventually a more innovative company will eat their lunch, and figure out how to make competition both fun and fair.

Tyizor and xer 21 like this.
  14. xer 21

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    to be fair, they arent TRYING to be fair. they want people to stone.

15. HappyNoms

PADherder:
    link
    Yes, but the thing is, people would still cheerfully stone a fair tournament.

If you have 15 percent of the players reasonably/realistically competing for 6 percent of the spots, they will stone. It's straightforward and elegant. It doesn't require convoluted incentive schemes or forcing in rage stoning.

Even if their skill levels are a bit different, like chess players with 1750 elo playing 1850 elo, the outcome will be uncertain and interesting any given set. A modest edge in skill doesn't mean the better player or better martial artist wins any particular encounter, just a bit more overall.

If you want more stoning in such a scenario, you simply make the reward bands more numerous and more quantized. Going from 18 perecnt to sub 10 may be too big an ask for a player to feel attempting a stone is reasonable, but going from 18 to sub 15 is enticing. And there's nothing unfair or unpleasant about having more gardually ascending or varied rewards that increment every 5 percent once inside 30. As a for instance.

The fact that it's thick with bad mannered design trolls and unpleasant random variance is just lazy and shameful on gungho's part. They lack the design skill to realize they lack design skill, in classic Dunning-Kruger fashion, and have confused adding random variance as an obstacle with simply being assholes.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    kaylathehedgehog and iddybat like this.
  16. Playerdb

Playerdb db

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I’m safely in the top 100%.

kandjar, yamo and xer 21 like this.
  17. Fridgeboy

Fridgeboy Well-Known Member

I wasted half a bar of stam on the first day and I'm sitting at 26% now. I have 14 stones. Technically somewhere in there if I stoned I should get a lucky run to easily put me under 20% but is it worth the times and effort? I also have 2.1M mp. I could just buy YY... who I'm not even interested in lol. Decisions, decisions

18. HappyNoms

PADherder:
    link
    It's worth a stone or two to top 20, it's effectively saving 300k mp for doing some other derpy luxury thing like buying doubles of a 750k card to cycle actives. Also, if you aren't 26, from a stray 10 or so half a bar runs, getting into 20 shouldn't be too hard.

19. ko300zx

User ID:
    Finally got some good boards and a little skyfall love on the first few floors of a run, then the last floor of course drops dead at 4c. 138.8 something. 1500 off from a crown. Was feeling good, stoned again, and the green skyfall buff turned back on. 3 runs in a row. I'm out.

Another one I'm gonna end less than 2% off.

Lucky 7 was .5% off
    You Yu - 1.6%
    Hera-is - .2% :arghh:
    Indigo - 1.5%

Seems I just need to get 2% better at the game. I would rather be 10% off than this close and come up short every time. Sucks to be a baddie.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    sgt502 likes this.
  20. FoxtrotFool

FoxtrotFool Well-Known Member

I was stuck at 131000 for a long time at 21%, and finally got a 132300, and is at 18.7. Hopefully it stand. I don’t think I can get much more...

iddybat likes this.